Executive DirectorCompany: Germantown Education Foundation
Date Posted: May 16, 2018
The Germantown Education Foundation (GEF) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization whose mission is to mobilize community resources to support and benefit schools and educational programs in the City of Germantown. Through grants, projects and initiatives, the foundation helps advance the academic achievement of students by improving the quality of teaching and learning.
The GEF is looking for a candidate who is passionate about education and the City of Germantown and has the enthusiasm, energy, organizational skills and self-motivation to protect and grow the foundation. Reporting to the GEF Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for the GEF’s programs, fundraising efforts and execution of its mission.
The ED is a part-time position with a flexible schedule. The ED will spend an average of approximately 20 hours each week working on GEF activities, with at least 4 hours per week working in the GEF office. Aside from these required office hours, the ED may work from home or in a remote office. The ED is also required to attend all board meetings and to be present at all GEF functions, grant administrations and fundraisers (some of which occur during nights and weekends). The ED will also serve as the GEF’s liaison to the Germantown Municipal School District (GMSD) and to all GMSD parent group organizations.
Candidates should email a cover letter and resume to the GEF board at email@example.com.
Essential Job Functions:
- GEF reputation and awareness. The ED will develop and execute plans to promote the awareness, reputation, and prestige of the GEF within the schools, school associations, community, local/regional businesses, and potential corporate benefactors.
- Organization and daily operation. The ED will develop and execute procedures and processes to support efficient and effective operations for the GEF, including communications, meetings with stakeholders/supporters and the Board of Directors. The ED will also oversee activities necessary to support record keeping, financial reports, maintaining the charitable organization status, and tax filing.
- Fundraising. The ED will plan, develop and coordinate all fundraising activities, including planned and annual giving, major gifts, matching gifts, memberships, endowments, bequests, sponsorships and capital campaigns. The ED will work in close collaboration with the GEF Board/sub-committees, GMSD Board, PTA/PTO groups, and related volunteer leadership to achieve the fundraising goals of GEF.
- Administration of grants. The ED will act as the primary contact and administrator for the GEF grant process. The ED, in collaboration with the GEF Board, will facilitate an efficient and well-coordinated grant process to the school district administrators, teachers, and parent groups as appropriate.
Leadership & Management Skills:
- Ensure ongoing local programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
- Actively engage and energize GEF volunteers, board members, event committees, partnering organizations, and funders.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors; serve as ex-officio of each committee; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for ongoing local operations.
- Ensure effective systems to track income and expenses, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders and other constituents.
Fundraising & Communications Responsibilities:
- Continue current fundraising activities and evaluate other possible revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand.
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities.
Qualifications for the Position:
The ED will be thoroughly committed to the GEF’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership and relationship management experience.
Specific requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree, with at least 8 years of professional experience, preferably involved in fundraising, public relations, and communication.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- Excellence in management with the ability to set and achieve strategic objectives and manage a budget.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships.
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and represent the GEF in the Germantown and greater Memphis community.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.