Area Director-MemphisCompany: Best Buddies International
Date Posted: November 29, 2017
Best Buddies International – www.bestbuddies.org
Best Buddies® is the world’s largest organization dedicated to ending the social, physical, and economic isolation of the 200 Million+ people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD). Our programs help people with IDD form meaningful friendships with their peers, secure successful jobs, live independently, improve public speaking, self-advocacy, and communication skills, and feel valued by society. Founded in 1989 by Anthony K. Shriver, Best Buddies is a vibrant, international organization that has grown from one original chapter to almost 2200 middle school, high school, and college chapters worldwide.
The Area Director is responsible for overseeing daily operations in their regional office, and for securing funding for programs and special projects in geographic region assigned by working with a local Advisory Board and associated committees, and through implementation of local fundraising initiatives.
- Identify and cultivate individual donors, corporations, foundations, and government agencies who have the capacity to provide financial support, and connect the interests and mission of these funding sources with the needs of Best Buddies.
- Assist and direct program staff while collaborating with State Director and Program Supervisors to ensure program consistency and success.
- Overall operational management responsibility for all fundraising activities statewide, including foundation and corporate giving, individual giving, major gifts, special events, annual giving, and alumni/parent relations.
- Responsible for developing and implementing major fundraising events to meet revenue goals-must utilize local event committees following BBI event committee benchmarks and structure.
- Works with BBI Grants Department to research opportunities and develop proposals to foundations, as well as maintain accurate records and submit reports as required by funders.
- Manages Advisory Board, including recruitment, training and retention in keeping with BBI Advisory Board framework.
- Manages government grants/contracts to ensure Best Buddies is meeting guidelines effectively and on a timely basis.
- Identifies, cultivates, and develops volunteers capable of making personal commitments and becoming directly involved in the solicitation process on behalf of Best Buddies.
- Develops and manages area plan, implementing goals and objectives.
- Works with State Director to develop and manage area budget and track expenses and revenue.
- Recruits, trains, evaluates, and supervises Program Supervisor, including approving all reports, monitoring program expansion and maintenance, conducting staff evaluations, creating quarterly goals, and providing support and motivation as needed.
- Oversees all daily operations in the local office.
- Works with the Program Supervisor to maintain consistency of programs, and develop expansion efforts.
- Assists with the planning and implementation of area-wide program events, including Best Buddies Day.
- Integrates program participants and staff into fundraising events.
- Creates a strong presence for Best Buddies in the local area through public speaking, community involvement, public service announcements, special events, and other media initiatives.
- Facilitates Public Relations, Marketing, and Awareness efforts for Best Buddies through newsletters, web updates and Kintera database management.
- Maintains communication with State Director with timely reports and other information as directed.
- Works evenings and weekends and travels as necessary to complete assignments.
- Handles special projects as assigned.
- 3-5 years of management/supervisory experience, 2-3 years of fundraising experience a must-including special event planning, individual donor cultivation, major gift prospecting, securing corporate and foundation grants/gifts, and/or personally soliciting major gifts.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including making presentations to small and large groups.
- Experience managing volunteers for the cultivation and solicitation of gifts and special event support.
- Strong desire and motivation to carry out the Best Buddies mission with a focus on fundraising with an Advisory Board.
- Must be comfortable interacting and working with people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Automobile with applicable insurance
Kathy DiRusso, Deputy Director, Mission Impact 978-397-2992 firstname.lastname@example.org